Cream Cheese Wontons with Orange Sauce
I love making this appetizer for get-togethers. People think you have fussed but they are so easy to make.—Janet Asp, Menomonie, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes4 dozen (4 cups sauce)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (12 ounces) wonton wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in pineapple. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in marmalade. Cool to room temperature.
- Place 2 teaspoons of cream cheese in the center of each wonton wrapper (fill wrappers a few at a time, keeping the others covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use). Moisten edges with water; fold opposite corners together over filling and press to seal.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry wontons in batches for 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve with orange sauce.
Editor's NoteFill wonton wrappers a few at a time, keeping the others covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 80 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Cream Cheese Puffs with Orange-Pineapple Sauce in Country Woman Christmas 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.