- 1 cup shortening
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Green food coloring, decorator candies and colored sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream shortening, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in orange zest. If desired, add food coloring.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Decorate with candies and colored sugar as desired. Bake until set (do not brown), 9-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Reviews forCream Cheese Spritz
"Fantastic! Reminds me of my childhood. I noticed by the comments, people are having trouble with the cookie press. Before you give up, try this tip about cookie presses. It's in the mixing. Make sure you are incorporating the fats and sugars completely - then add your eggs (one at a time.) This prevents over mixing. Chill your dough too.You might also try using half butter, half shortening. Good luck!"
"Flavor was good, but this dough didn't work in my Wilton cookie press. I ended up rolling it into a log and slicing them. Very disappointing"
"This is the second year I made these cookies and it is my"go to" spritz batter. Batter holds up to the last cookie. If it starts spreading and losing it's sharpness just put cookie press in fridge for 5 minutes. I did use green food coloring and used the floral disc and sprinkled with red colored sugar. Looked like poinsettias! Used the Christmas tree disc and sprinkled green sugar. Very pretty and festive looking."
"I made a few changes, used almond flavouring instead of vanilla as I like that for Christmas. Also I chilled the dough for an hour or so before trying to put through the press. Not the best I've tried but taste ok."
"First batch pressed out ok but couldn't get other batches to press out. I ended up rolling in ball and pressing with fork. Taste wasn't that good."
"The dough was very dry and I had to add milk so it would go through the cookie press. It's back to my old recipe for me!"
"These are great. I was ready to give up on my cookie press but these worked great!"