Cream Cheese Nut Bread
I went to a luncheon with some girlfriends a few years ago, and the hostess served this bread. We all marveled at the wonderful flavor and texture.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar; beat in the egg whites. Stir in flour and orange zest; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk, honey and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Spoon a fourth of the batter into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Spread reserved cream cheese mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Spoon remaining batter over filling and carefully spread to cover (pans will not be very full).
- Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 201 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Nut Bread with Cream Cheese Center in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006