Cream Cheese Coffee Cakes
Since these coffee cakes freeze well, they make a welcome "instant" breakfast during all the Christmas morning craziness. Friends and family love receiving them, too, wrapped up with a holiday bow.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
Makes4 coffee cakes
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream, sugar and salt; cool to 110°-115°. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, sour cream mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll each into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle; spread with filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. With a scissors, cut two-thirds of the way through dough at 1-in. intervals. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over coffee cakes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 139 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cream Cheese Coffee Cakes in Country Woman Christmas 2002