Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toasted sliced almonds, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, combine sour cream, sugar, butter and salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 5-10 minutes or until well blended. Cool to room temperature. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sour cream mixture and eggs; mix well. Gradually stir in flour. (Dough will be very soft.) Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Next day, combine filling ingredients in a mixing bowl until well blended. Turn dough onto a floured board; knead 5-6 times. Divide into four equal portions. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spread 1/4 of the filling on each to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style from long side; pinch seams and ends to seal. Place, seam side down, on greased baking sheet. Cut six X's on top of loaves. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Combine the first three glaze ingredients; drizzle over loaves. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20-24 servings.
1 piece: 264 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
"Great and easy recipe. Been making since published in TOH and still the most requested for all breakfasts and holiday gatherings. So good. Thank you for sharing this. Excellent!"
"I refrigerated the dough only an hour instead of overnight, and it still turned out great. I would definitely cut the sugar in half next time, because I added apricot jam with the cream cheese filling and it was VERY sweet. But, having some real fruit flavor was delicious! :-) Also, I omitted the glaze."
"This recipe is very impressive, the finished product is excellent."
"This coffee cake recipe is more work than some...but it's WELL worth every bit of effort! The dough just melts in your mouth! I usually forgo the almonds, and add a little lemon juice to the glaze. Delicious!"
"One of the best coffee cakes I've ever made! I'll be using this recipe over and over again."
"My husband and kids think it's heaven!"
"I've made this coffee cake today and my family absolutely love it! It is so good that we can't stop eating it. I did a little bit of modification though. I used light sour cream for the dough to cut on calories, fat and cholesterol level. In the cream cheese part I only used 1/2 cup of sugar and no salt. We really liked it this way - just perfect amount of sweetness. It is a keeper!"
"Such an awesome recipe! Every time I make it people love it and ask for the recipe."
"I have made this several times and keep getting request to make it. Lost recipe, soooo glad to find it on line"