- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add the broth, carrots and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken, parsley, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cream cheese; cook and stir until melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCream Cheese Chicken Soup
"I made this soup almost exactly as directed except I added about 1 cup of frozen peas and used low-fat cream cheese. I also used store-bought rotisserie chicken I had in the freezer. It was delicious! With the potatoes, carrots & peas mixed it, it was very colorful, and it was thick enough to be hearty, but not too thick to enjoy. This seems to be a soup that you can add just about any vegetable you have on hand, and clean out your freezer as well. This will definitely be added to my list of soups to make."
"This is one of my favorite soups. I added a cup of frozen peas. I've made it three times now and all three times it came out good."
"This was delicious. I needed something quick and easy and this definitely fit the bill. I also already had all of the ingredients on hand. To make this even easier, I recommend buying a cooked rotisserie chicken and cubing the meat. I also added some garlic powder and a lot more salt. I felt it was too bland as is. But seasoning is always personal taste. This soup is creamy, thick, and filling. It was a hit in our house. Next time I might add some bacon and red pepper flakes."
"Yummy soup! I followed the recipe except I used frozen peas and carrots, almond milk, and neufchatel cheese (basically low fat cream cheese). Will make this again."
"Wonderful recipe. Hearty and healthy. I added frozen spinach and a tblsp of dried dill for extra flavour."
"My family absolutely loves this soup. We like to use flavored cream cheese, spicy ones are great."
"Made this recipe for the second time. Made no changes. It is a great meal for me. I recommend you should try it."
"This was just wonderful. I will be making this again for sure but , from now on, I think I will omit the chicken, it's great on it's own."