Since I was raised on a dairy farm, the ingredients in this recipe suit me fine! These delicious cookies freeze well, although most of them get gobbled up before I have a chance to get them in the freezer.
Recommended: 77 Tropical Recipes for a Taste-cation Anytime
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups ground pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg white
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Gradually add the flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator about 1 hour before rolling.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the nuts, sugar, butter and egg white; set aside. Divide dough into fourths. On a floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-3/4-in. round cookie cutter.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Place 1 teaspoon filling in center of each circle. Shape into a cone by folding edges of dough to meet over filling. Moisten edges with water and pinch edges together.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Sprinkle cooled cookies with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Cream Cheese Bells in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p53