- 14 ears sweet corn with husks
- 5 pounds medium red or white potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and halved
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 medium heads cabbage
- 16 Polish sausages
- 2 quarts water
- Salt and pepper, optional
- Peel and clean corn, saving and washing enough husks to cover the bottom of a 5-gallon metal cream can or kettle. Layer all of the corn, half of the potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage, then half of the sausages. Repeat layers with the rest of the vegetables and sausages, saving one or two potatoes for the top to test for doneness. Pour the water over and add salt and pepper if desired. Cover and bring to a boil on grate over a fire. Let steam for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forCream Can Dinner
"We use this recipe on our family reunion weekend. Layer everything in the turkey fryer and let it cook. We throw in some plain hot dogs for the fussy eaters about half way through the cooking time. It's perfect for a dinner that requires little prep or clean up. I've given the recipe out several times."