This cranberry raspberry pie is my son Michael's recipe. It was passed down to him when he got married in 2002. The pie is quite tart, but it pairs well with your favorite vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. —Beverly Batty, Forest Lake, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 large egg
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, divided
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup lard
- 1-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dairy-free vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, 3 tablespoons ice water and vinegar until blended. In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening and lard until crumbly. Gradually add egg mixture, tossing with a fork, until dough holds together when pressed. If mixture is too dry, slowly add additional ice water, a teaspoon at a time, just until mixture comes together.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep dish pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix 1-1/4 cups sugar and tapioca. Add cranberries, raspberries, honey and almond extract; toss to coat evenly. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Pour filling into pie plate. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Combine cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar; sprinkle over top. Place pie on a baking sheet; bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 35-40 minutes. Cool pie on a wire rack. If desired, serve with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 532 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.