Cranberry & Walnut Swirl Coffee Cake
—Lydia Mathias, Kingston, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in sour cream and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Spoon half of the cranberry sauce over batter; cut through batter with a knife to swirl the cranberry sauce. Layer with remaining batter and cranberry sauce; sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 386 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Swirl Coffee Cake in Farm and Ranch Living October/November 2009