- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub sweet potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Bake 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in cranberries, syrup, cranberry juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring occasionally. Stir in walnuts and mustard; heat through.
- When cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Top with cranberry mixture; sprinkle with chives. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCranberry-Walnut Sweet Potatoes
"The cranberry mixture is delicious, but I thought that it overwhelmed the taste of the sweet potato. Maybe I'm a sweet potato purist. I like the cranberry mixture as a condiment for grilled chicken, instead."
"It's way too tart for my taste. I added lots of brown sugar before serving."
"This sounds wonderful! Thanksgiving has to have sweet potatoes and cranberries."