Cranberry-Walnut Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub sweet potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Bake 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in cranberries, syrup, cranberry juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring occasionally. Stir in walnuts and mustard; heat through.
- When cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Top with cranberry mixture; sprinkle with chives.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 sweet potato half: 284 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 12, 2013
The cranberry mixture is delicious, but I thought that it overwhelmed the taste of the sweet potato. Maybe I'm a sweet potato purist. I like the cranberry mixture as a condiment for grilled chicken, instead.
Nov 23, 2012
It's way too tart for my taste. I added lots of brown sugar before serving.
Sep 1, 2010
Made this Christmas 2009, and I am pretty sure this will be a traditional dish at my house for Christmas every year. Its delicious!
Jan 10, 2009
I made these for Thanksgiving and myfamily loved them so mych I made them for Christmas as well. They are easy and delicious.
Nov 5, 2008
This sounds wonderful! Thanksgiving has to have sweet potatoes and cranberries.