Cranberry-Walnut Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub sweet potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Bake 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in cranberries, syrup, cranberry juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring occasionally. Stir in walnuts and mustard; heat through.
- When cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Top with cranberry mixture; sprinkle with chives.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 sweet potato half: 284 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 12, 2013
The cranberry mixture is delicious, but I thought that it overwhelmed the taste of the sweet potato. Maybe I'm a sweet potato purist. I like the cranberry mixture as a condiment for grilled chicken, instead.
Nov 23, 2012
It's way too tart for my taste. I added lots of brown sugar before serving.
Sep 1, 2010
Made this Christmas 2009, and I am pretty sure this will be a traditional dish at my house for Christmas every year. Its delicious!
Jan 10, 2009
I made these for Thanksgiving and myfamily loved them so mych I made them for Christmas as well. They are easy and delicious.
Nov 5, 2008
This sounds wonderful! Thanksgiving has to have sweet potatoes and cranberries.