Cranberry-Topped Lemon Tarts Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 medium lemon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir until dough forms a ball. Divide into eight portions; press each onto the bottom and up the sides of eight 4-in. tart pans.
- 2. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until berries have popped, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk eggs. Stir in the sugar, lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cook and stir over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until filling is thickened and reaches 160°. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Transfer berry topping to another bowl; refrigerate until serving.
- 4. Spoon filling into tart shells. Chill, uncovered, until set. For garnish, in a small saucepan, bring lemon slices, sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until lemon is tender. Cut slices in half; chill.
- 5. Just before serving, spoon cranberry topping over tarts. Garnish with lemon slices. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 786 calories, 34g fat (20g saturated fat), 215mg cholesterol, 572mg sodium, 117g carbohydrate (88g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry-Topped Lemon Tarts
"The flavor was great. However, the directions could have been more detailed, especially about the approximate time to cook the filling and if it should be clear or opaque..."
"In addition to putting the dough in the fridge, I would also poke it with a fork. The first time I made it, I didn't do this and the dough puffed up. Also, instead of the cranberry filling, I simply put fresh raspberries on top. Much lighter and fresher!"