Cranberry Surprise Muffins
This recipe has been in my family since 1943, so these muffins have been enjoyed during the holidays for many years. The “surprise” is a dollop of cranberry sauce in the center. We like to eat them warm, fresh from the oven.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups one-fourth full. Drop a rounded tablespoonful of cranberry sauce into each cup. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until muffin tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's Note: These muffins are best served the day they're made.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 176 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Gem Muffins in Country December/January 2007