This recipe has been in my family since 1943, so these muffins have been enjoyed during the holidays for many years. The “surprise” is a dollop of cranberry sauce in the center. We like to eat them warm, fresh from the oven.
Recommended: 25 Surprising Ways to Use Jiffy Mix
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups one-fourth full. Drop a rounded tablespoonful of cranberry sauce into each cup. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until muffin tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Surprise Muffins in Country December/January 2007, p49
Reviews forCranberry Surprise Muffins
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2014
"The muffin was so bland. At a minimum, this recipe needs more butter and sugar."