- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups herb-seasoned stuffing croutons
- 1 cup crushed cornbread stuffing or crumbled cornbread
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and cranberries in 1/2 cup butter until tender. Stir in the garlic, croutons, cornbread stuffing and enough broth to moisten; set aside.
- 2. Place chicken with breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and sage; sprinkle over inside and outside of chicken. Loosely stuff with cranberry mixture. Melt remaining butter; brush over chicken.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan juices. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
Dec 15, 2014
I made this for the first time last night and hubby and I enjoyed it very much. This will certainly be put in to our menu rotation, since we both love stuffing.
Jan 3, 2012
I have made the stuffing twice and it is awesome. Yummy!!!
Nov 26, 2010
I've been making this recipe since I first read it in a TOH mag years ago. But yesterday I made it for Thanksgiving and was finally moved to write a review. First of all, by the time I finished getting all the food on the table and sat down to eat, most of the stuffing was already gone. I got a spoonful--darn it! Everyone raved, and I was asked for the recipe several times. This is a simple recipe but absolutely wonderful. The cranberries make it a little extra special, and a nice touch for the holidays.
May 14, 2010
I will never make my stuffing any other way. My husband and I love it.
Nov 25, 2009
I first used this stuffing for my Thanksgiving turkey about 5 years ago - and every year since. Great!