- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups herb-seasoned stuffing croutons
- 1 cup corn bread stuffing or crumbled corn bread
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a skillet, saute celery, onion and cranberries in 1/2 cup of butter until tender. Stir in garlic, stuffing and enough broth to moisten; set aside. Place chicken with breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and sage; sprinkle over inside and outside of chicken. Loosely stuff with cranberry mixture. Melt remaining butter; brush over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180° for the chicken and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCranberry-Stuffed Chicken
"I made this for the first time last night and hubby and I enjoyed it very much. This will certainly be put in to our menu rotation, since we both love stuffing."
"I have made the stuffing twice and it is awesome. Yummy!!!"
"I've been making this recipe since I first read it in a TOH mag years ago. But yesterday I made it for Thanksgiving and was finally moved to write a review. First of all, by the time I finished getting all the food on the table and sat down to eat, most of the stuffing was already gone. I got a spoonful--darn it! Everyone raved, and I was asked for the recipe several times. This is a simple recipe but absolutely wonderful. The cranberries make it a little extra special, and a nice touch for the holidays."
"I will never make my stuffing any other way. My husband and I love it."