My family loves shortbread and I love cranberries, so I decided to put the two together. The star shape is a festive addition to my holiday cookie tray. —Sonya Labbe, West Hollywood, California
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until blended. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in cranberries.
- Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 325°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Shortbread Stars in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p14