Cool and refreshing, this pretty dessert is delightfully sweet-tart and makes the perfect ending for bountiful holiday meal. You can make it ahead and keep it in the freezer, so there will be one less thing to do before serving.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + freezing
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Fresh mint, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring cranberries and 2 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Press through a strainer to remove skins; discard skins.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the sugar, lemon juice, orange zest and remaining water. Pour into an 8-in. square pan. Cover and freeze until ice begins to form around the edges of the pan, about 1-1/2 hours; stir. Freeze until mushy, about 30 minutes.
- Spoon into a freezer container; cover and freeze. Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving. Scoop into small dishes; garnish with mint if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 154 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Cranberry Shiver in Taste of Home December/January 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.