Cranberry Scones with Orange Butter
My tempting cranberry scones brighten up a holiday brunch or tea. The yummy orange butter served with them is hands-down irresistible. —Joan Hallford, Fort Worth, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes8 scones (1/2 cup orange butter)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ORANGE BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk eggs and cream until blended; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in cranberries.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush over dough.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or until golden brown. For orange butter, in a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients until blended. Serve with warm scones.
Nutrition Facts1 scone with 1 tablespoon orange butter: 489 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Polka Dot Holiday Scones with Orange Butter in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.