Cranberry Sauce Muffins
"I created this recipe because I'm always watching my weight," notes Glenda Cameron of Landenberg, Pennsylvania. "These muffins are easy to make and have less fat and calories than many others. Occasionally, I'll substitute canned pumpkin for the cranberry sauce, which is also good!"
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 cups All-Bran
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- In a bowl, combine cereal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Add egg substitute and oil; mix well. Combine the next five ingredients; stir into cereal mixture just until moistened. Fold in cranberry sauce. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with batter. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cook 5 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 145 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Cranberry Sauce Muffins in Light & Tasty October/November 2003