Cranberry Rum-Raisin Relish
Break away from tradition and serve this tasty alternative to plain ol' cranberry sauce. The mild rum and clove flavors give it a homey, comforting feel that pairs well with traditional Thanksgiving dishes. —Amy Nutoni, La Crescent, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 package (15 ounces) golden raisins
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- Place cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Set aside.
- Using a citrus zester, remove zest from orange in narrow strips. Peel and chop the orange; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the raisins, cranberries, sugar, water, rum, cinnamon, spice bag and chopped orange. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; discard spice bag and cinnamon stick. Stir in orange zest. Transfer to a small bowl; cool slightly. Refrigerate until chilled.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 199 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Rum Raisin Relish in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012