Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 2-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add the wild rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the brown rice; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onions and brown sugar in butter until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add the cranberries, orange zest and rice; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 400 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 674mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 14, 2012
I took a bite of this before taking it to the table and liked it, however during dinner the flavors quickly became overwhelming. I did not care for the orange zest in combination with the onions and the cranberries seemed unnecessary.
Oct 13, 2010
Made this for part of my Mother In Law's birthday dinner and we all loved it! My variations: I used jasmine because I didn't have wild rice and I added slivered almonds to the carmelized onions. It was very moist and went perfect with smoked turkey and roasted veggies. I think I went a little overboard on the onions, but because I used white onions and they simmered for quit a while, the taste wasn't overpowering at all. Next time I will use less onion, and chop them up smalle rinstead of using wedges (I just think it would go down easier). All in all a great recipe =)
Feb 3, 2010
I've made this a number of times and it is always a hit. I caramelize the onions days before because it does take more than an hour, and it smells up the kitchen. I also cut the cranberries down to 1/2 cup. Easily feeds six.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.