Even though this is a light dessert, my kids love it. Since it's so popular, I stock up on canned pumpkin in the fall when it's on sale so I can make it all year long. —Cami LaForge, Murray, Utah
Featured In: 23 Ways to Get Your Pumpkin Spice Fix
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9-in. square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat egg and egg white until foamy. Add pumpkin, melted butter, oil and vanilla; beat until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into egg mixture. Stir in cranberries, walnuts and orange zest. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry-Pumpkin Spice Cake in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2015, p224