Cranberry Pot Roast
I had heard a local restaurant was selling pot roast with cranberry gravy. One day I had some leftover cranberry barbecue sauce and decided to try it over pot roast. It turned out tender, flavorful and delicious!—Jim Ulberg, Elk Rapids, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Combine flour, salt and pepper; rub over roast. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Cut onion in half and stick the cloves into it. Add onion, water, carrot and cinnamon to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, adding water if needed.
- Skim fat. Combine cranberry sauce and vinegar; pour over the roast. Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Discard onion, cloves and cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 335 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Pot Roast in Taste of Home October/November 1998