- 1-2/3 cups sweetened applesauce (about 15 ounces)
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Place applesauce in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Top with sweet potatoes; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and brown sugar.
- Place pork chops over potatoes; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Spoon cranberry sauce over pork. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until pork and sweet potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCranberry Pork & Sweet Potatoes
"I had to make a number of adjustments to this recipe, but the results made for a keeper! Since so many cooks thought it was bland I seasoned the pork chops with an assortment of herbs and spices rather than just salt and pepper. Partway through the cooking time I checked on progress and saw that the bottom layer (potatoes) was cooking well, but the cranberry sauce was just sitting on top of the pork chops and hadn't melted down to combine with the other ingredients. I removed the pork chops for just long enough to stir the cranberry down into the applesauce/pork juices, and when returning the meat to the crockpot I made more of a homogeneous mixture of meat and potatoes so that all parts of the meal would be flavored by the cranberry-apple sauce. Toward the end of the cooking I turned the heat to high and cracked the lid to allow the sauce to thicken a touch. All in all the flavor was truly scrumptious and I would make it again. I might try reducing or eliminating the brown sugar... it was very sweet, and I had even used UNsweetened applesauce, contrary to the recipe."
"I wonder if homemade cranberry sauce with orange juice would be good?Sounds like a good recipe but a couple of people thought it was too bland."
"This was all soft & mushy, & everything looked about the same color and texture. Probably sat in the crock pot too long, but I wouldn't bother again."
"I thought I'd try this because I pretty much love sweet potato anything. I followed the recipe exactly, but the results didn't turn out how I expected. The pork tasted bland; perhaps some additional seasoning could flavor it up; I won't make this again."
"A very easy recipe and we love it! The meat just falls off the bone - so you do have to watch for bone fragments if you are using bone-in pork chops. The brown sugar and applesauce candy the sweet potatoes and the cranberries balance out the sweetness. I always have the individual serving containers of applesauce on hand, so I used 4 of those (3.9 oz each). That worked just fine."
"This was really moist and yummy. I would make it again."