Cranberry-Pistachio Thumbprint Cookies
For years, I made Swedish thumbprint cookies with raspberry jam and walnuts. Now at Christmas, I use pistachios and cranberries for holiday color. —Dion Frischer, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 40 min.+ chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups dried cranberries, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup white baking chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and orange zest. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in 1 cup cranberries and 3/4 cup pistachios.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Bake until edges are light brown, 9-11 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over baking chips; stir with a whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate, covered, until thickened.
- Spoon cream mixture onto cookies; sprinkle with remaining pistachios and cranberries. Refrigerate leftovers.
Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw cookies in covered containers; decorate as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 101 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 37mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Thumbprint Cookies in Simple & Delicious December/January 2014
Dec 19, 2015
easy to make, but just so so in taste. cranberry-pistachio combination is a little off. white chocolate does manage to bind the two flavors together.
Dec 26, 2013
Very good and very simple to make.