Cranberry Pistachio Ice Cream Cake
Red cranberries and green pistachios in this ice cream cake delightfully showcase the colors of the season. My family prefers this refreshing homemade ice cream cake to store-bought desserts. —Quadelle Rose, Springbrook, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups crushed chocolate cream-filled cookies
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios, divided
- In a small bowl, combine crushed cookies and butter; press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, corn syrup, sugar and water. Bring to a boil; cook over medium heat until the berries pop, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until cooled, stirring occasionally.
- Remove crust from freezer. Spread with half of the ice cream. Set aside 1/4 cup cranberry puree. Pour remaining puree over ice cream. Set aside 1 tablespoon nuts; sprinkle remaining nuts over puree. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Layer with remaining ice cream, puree and nuts. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze for 6 hours or until firm. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 352 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Pistachio Ice Cream Cake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Jan 24, 2011
I made this dessert for a Christmas dinner party and it was a big hit! The cranberry mixture is the right combination of sweet/tart and the green & red topping is very festive.