This recipe was passed on to me as an alternative to traditional pecan pie. The cranberries inspire me to make this tart at Thanksgiving, but it gets rave reviews all year long.
Recommended: Recipes with Cranberries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Whipped cream, optional
- Cut pastry sheet in half and roll each half into a 7-in. circle. Transfer pastry to two ungreased 4-in. fluted tart pans with removable bottoms. Trim pastry even with edge. Layer the cranberries, vanilla chips and pecans in pastry. In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg, brown sugar, corn syrup, flour and peel until smooth; pour over nuts. Place pans on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Cover with foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling near center is set. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Pecan Tarts in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p287