Cranberry Pecan Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice, divided
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup honey
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats and brown sugar. Stir in butter until blended. Set aside 2/3 cup. Pat remaining mixture onto the bottom of a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, 7 tablespoons cranberry juice, raisins, honey, sugar substitute, cinnamon and cloves. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until berries pop.
- Combine the cornstarch and remaining cranberry juice until smooth; stir into berry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour filling over crust. Sprinkle with pecans and reserved oat mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 199 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Nov 3, 2009
These were great, but a tad bit too tart for us. I added some chopped white chocolate to the top - about 1/4 cup - after baking and let them melt slightly into the bars, and it added just enough sweetness to balance it all out. It also added a nice, festive, snowy look to them, just in time for my Christmas baked goods trays!
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks for a delicious looking recipe which is on the healthy side. It's difficult for diabetics to find dessert which don't throw your blood count askew!! Thanks!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.