Cranberry Pear Tart with Gingerbread Crust
Three fabulous flavors of fall—pears, cranberries and gingerbread—come together in this delectable dessert. It can be served warm, but my family prefers it chilled.—Sarah Badding, Langdon, North Dakota
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + cooling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4 cups cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 4 medium pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- In a large saucepan, bring the cranberry juice, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon stick to a boil; add pears. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until pears are tender. Remove from the heat; stir in cranberries. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt; cover and pulse to blend. Add butter; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and molasses; pulse just until moistened. Press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 325°.
- Drain pears and cranberries, reserving juice. Pat pears and cranberries dry; discard cinnamon stick.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, sugar, milk, orange zest, vanilla and salt. Stir in half of the cranberries; spoon half of mixture into tart. Slice pear halves; arrange over custard. Top with remaining custard. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until custard is set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place reserved juice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced to 1 cup; brush over pears. Arrange remaining cranberries around tart. Chill until serving.