Cranberry-Pear Compote Shortcake
Here’s a home-style recipe I’ve shared with many of my friends and family. Cranberries, pears and cinnamon transform the usual strawberry shortcake into a wonderful wintry treat. —Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, halved, divided
- 1/2 cup ginger ale
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh pears
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 8 individually frozen biscuits
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugars, butter and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until sugars are dissolved, stirring occasionally. Gently stir in 2 cups cranberries and ginger ale.
- Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Add pears; cook and stir 5-10 minutes longer or until pears are tender. Remove from the heat. Add corn syrup and remaining cranberries. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Prepare biscuits according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and zest; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Split warm biscuits. Spread with butter; layer with compote and cream. Replace tops.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Compote can be made a day in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
Originally published as Cranberry Pear Compote Shortcake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.