Here’s a home-style recipe I’ve shared with many of my friends and family. Cranberries, pears and cinnamon transform the usual strawberry shortcake into a wonderful wintry treat. —Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Recommended: Our Favorite Pear Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, halved, divided
- 1/2 cup ginger ale
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh pears
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 8 individually frozen biscuits
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugars, butter and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until sugars are dissolved, stirring occasionally. Gently stir in 2 cups cranberries and ginger ale.
- Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Add pears; cook and stir 5-10 minutes longer or until pears are tender. Remove from the heat. Add corn syrup and remaining cranberries. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Prepare biscuits according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and zest; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Split warm biscuits. Spread with butter; layer with compote and cream. Replace tops. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry-Pear Compote Shortcake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p109