This is my favorite cake to make for last-minute occasions. I also make it to give to friends because it always turns out just right, and it’s made with ingredients I normally have on hand. —Beverly Lovegrove, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large pear, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the pear, cranberries and orange peel.
- Transfer to a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray and dusted with flour. Combine brown sugar and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry-Pear Coffee Cake in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p32
Reviews for Cranberry-Pear Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review