- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- GLAZE (optional):
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ORANGE BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 7 teaspoons sugar, orange peel, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cranberries, orange juice, cream and egg. Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into 10 wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with milk; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients if desired; drizzle over scones. Combine orange butter ingredients; serve with warm scones. Yield: 10 scones.
Reviews forCranberry Orange Scones
"Just made these and was so excited to try...I LOVE anything cranberry orange...these definitely missed the mark. :-/. Not enuf umph. I followed the recipe exactly. If I try again...will add more sugar and orange i suppose."
"Just made these beauties and some Orange Curd. Man Oh Man Love it!"
"These scones are delicious! I cut the recipe in half since it's just the two of us, and we enjoyed them with a cup of tea for breakfast. I didn't have orange marmalade for the orange butter, so I made a cream cheese whip with orange juice and a bit of sugar, and it was perfect to smear inside hot scones. This will definitely go into my recipe box!"
"Just pulled these out of the oven and they are wonderful! I didn't have any half and half so I used evaporated mlk. Turned out fine. Wow! I will make these again."
"Highly recommended, a crowd favorite!! The only change i made was the shape - 24 smaller diamond-shaped scones instead of the 10 wedges. I only glazed half the batch, knowing some people like a sweeter scone."
"I LOVE scones, these?? Not so much. I just finished making them.............. They "need something" not much taste, bland. I will try them again with a little more sugar & more orange."
"Delicious! I formed them into two circles and made 16 scones instead of 10 - they are plenty big for me. Excellent!"
"I have been making these for several years now and I made them again this morning. They are easy and delicious. Great with a cup of coffee!"
"Daughter and I love these. Love the orange marmalade butter that goes with them."
"A tasty treat filled with orange flavour and loads of cranberries. I used milk instead of half and half as it is what I had and they turned out awesome. A definite make again."