Cranberry-Orange Rice Pudding
Velvety custard and sweet-tart fruit make a delightful combination. Serve it as part of a Yuletide brunch, too. —Anne Ashdown, Salt Lake City, Utah
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- In a small saucepan, combine cranberries, 1/3 cup sugar, orange juice and zest. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups milk, rice and remaining sugar; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until thick and creamy, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk together eggs and remaining milk. Stir into rice mixture. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160°, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in extract. Serve warm with cranberry topping. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup rice pudding with 2 tablespoons topping: 308 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Orange Rice Pudding in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.