- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2-3/4 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- VANILLA BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and orange zest. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in cranberries.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in cream and butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Serve warm over cake. Yield: 16 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
Reviews forCranberry-Orange Pound Cake
"This pound cake was delicious ... great flavor, texture, and a perfect balance between sweet and tangy. After the cake cooled, I added an orange glaze (1.5 cups confectioners sugar, 3 TBL fresh orange juice, and 2 tsp. orange zest). I also added a half teaspoon of Fiori Di Sicilia flavoring to the cake batter. Good recipe!"
"I made it twice with and without sauce. I like it more without because it is lighter. However delicous in both options. I made it with frozen cranberries and didn't know what to expect but it tasted great. I'll make it again !"
"Delicious even without the sauce! This one is going in my recipe box for sure!"
"Amazing cake. Perfect for the holidays. Every time I take this to a pot luck it disappears."
"One of the best pound cakes ever! I add the microplaned zest of a whole orange to give it a little more zip. It doesn't even require the sauce because it's so moist."
"Wonderful cake! Just made it today and it is so delicious. I live at high altitude and no adjustments were made. Husband loved it as well. Highly recommend!"
"This is absolutely delicious! I usually make it in the fall and everyone loves it!"
"I've made this cake several times and it is wonderful!! My daughter loves it without the cranberries so I usually make her a small loaf pan without cranberries."