Cranberry Orange Pinwheels
The fresh cranberries give these cookies a refreshingly tangy taste and bright color. They have a great soft texture.—Pat Habiger, Spearville, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange zest.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the cranberries, pecans and brown sugar. Cover and process until finely chopped; set aside.
- Roll out one portion of dough between two sheets of waxed paper to a 10-in. square. Remove top sheet; spread dough with half of the cranberry mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style. Wrap in plastic. Repeat with remaining dough and cranberry mixture. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Unwrap rolls and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 67 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Cranberry Orange Pinwheels in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.