Cranberry-Nut Poppy Seed Bread
As a former home economics teacher, I love to experiment with recipes. One day I decided to add poppy seeds to my family's favorite cranberry bread. They loved it!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, orange juice, oil, poppy seeds and orange zest. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Spoon into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly). Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 251 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Poppyseed Nut Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.