A powerhouse of a snack, this homemade granola is packed with nuts, dried fruit and just enough sweetness to satisfy. Fitness buffs will eat it up.—Melanie Schreiner, Liverpool, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 8 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups toasted wheat germ
- 1-1/2 cups oat bran
- 1 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small saucepan, combine the oil, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until brown sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture; stir to coat.
- Transfer to two parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until crisp, stirring once. Cool completely on a wire rack. Stir in cranberries and coconut. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 279 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Granutla in Country Woman December/January 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.