Cranberry Nut Cupcakes
“I convinced my son to eat cranberries with these quick-to-fix cupcakes,” relates Anna Minegar of Zolfo Springs, Florida. With lots of cranberries and walnuts and a hint of lemon, they're ideal at breakfast or as after-school snacks, but special enough to serve to company.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sweetened lemonade drink mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 can (16 ounces) cream cheese frosting
- In a small bowl, combine cranberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, drink mix and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in walnuts and reserved cranberries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 12-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with cream cheese frosting. Store in the refrigerator.
Originally published as Frosted Nut Cranberry Muffin in Quick Cooking September/October 2005