- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg, orange juice and peel; stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Add the cranberries and walnuts. Spoon into a greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews forCranberry Nut Bread
"Really enjoy this recipe! Have made 4 loaves recently, and it is gobbled up in no time! Love the amount of cranberries and the flavor of the orange. Didn't change a thing other than use a 9 " loaf pan. Will try muffins with this recipe next""
"Lovely recipe!! But had to use 9x5 pan. Too much batter for a smaller one."
"I made this bread and rounded the cranberry measurement. It was awesome. Nice and tart. Hey, Dawn, my birthday is 3/24 also. Thanks for a great recipe."
"I first made this recipe when it was first published and I knew it was a winner when I got all those compliments! This is definitely a family and friends favorite!"
"Actually, What I've now done since I'd submitted this recipe back in 1997, I've baked the bread in two 7-1/2x3-1/2" greased and floured loaf pans 0R you can use about four 5x3" miniature loaf pans, greased and floured! I baked the 7" loaves for at least 55 to 60 minutes & the miniature loaves for about 45 to 50 minutes at 350 o F. or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted near the center! Each year, I bake this bread for our neighbors for the Christmas holiday season and they look forward to receiving it! I'd even baked about four loaves for a family holiday brunch on New year's Day 2012 & a family birthday brunch on 3/24/12 at our home! Another tip I have: Instead of using the bottled or grated orange peel, I started using 1 Tbsp. of ground Navel orange and the flavor of the orange in the loaf REALLY comes out!"
"I am very pleased that the readers who tried my recipe enjoyed it so much!"