- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt and orange peel. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in orange juice, eggs, and vanilla just until moistened. Fold in cranberries and nuts. Fill 18 greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forCranberry Muffins
"These are so good!! I left out the pecans. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out perfectly. I will definitely make them again."
"Made these, delicious and moist, but made a few changes I added 1 cup of sour cream, used half cup brown sugar and half cup granulated sugar, sprinkled oatmeal on top just before baking!"
"I love cranberry and orange flavors together. I followed the recipe exactly and the muffins turned out beautifully. They were everything a muffin should be, fluffy. spicy and delicious."
"Followed recipe...Too much orange flavor...The worst part was the lack of a crown and no color. Won't make again without modifications. Moist and very flavorful. Not what I wanted, though."
"My wife made a subtly different version based on this, read about it here. http://thenuclearfamily.blog.com/2012/11/10/fall-time-cranberry-muffins/"
"These are our favorite cranberry muffins."
"Delicious rainy day Spring project. I too, used butter vs. shortening and I used 1/2 brown and white sugar. Prep time was about 1/2 hour for me. Enjoy!"
"forgot the stars!"