Cranberry Muffin Mix
"We enjoy muffins so much that I created this quick and simple mix," shares Ruth Andrewson of Leavenworth, Washington. Cranberries give these golden treats a burst of color and just a bit of tartness that will keep friends and family asking for the recipe.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: about 4 batches (11-1/2 cups total).
- To prepare muffins: Place 2-3/4 cups muffin mix in a bowl. Combine the egg, milk and butter; stir into mix just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's Note: Contents of muffin mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 208 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Muffin Mix in Quick Cooking November/December 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.