Cranberry Molasses Cake
Bursting with berries, warm squares of this homemade dessert are elegant drizzled with a sweet butter sauce. "Friends baked this wonderful cake for my bridal shower," writes Brenda Knable from Bagley, Minnesota.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup water
- 2-1/4 cups fresh cranberries or frozen cranberries, thawed
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, molasses and water; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cut warm cake into squares; serve with butter sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 381 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Molasses Cake in Quick Cooking September/October 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.