- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Place cranberries in a food processor; cover and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries and next seven ingredients. Let stand for 5 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Keep warm.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon warm filling into pastry shell.
- Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to crust. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 hour. Chill, covered, for at least 4 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCranberry Meringue Pie
"I cannot say enough about this marvelous pie! I fixed it for Thanksgiving, 2010, and it took top honors in the dessert category and 2nd honors overall, with my family. This pie is sweet at first, then kind of sour, then bitter in the after-taste, as good cranberries should be. It is delectible, it is different, it is beautiful in color, it is unexpected, and it is delicious! This pie rocks! and is highly, highly, highly unrealized by the average public. Fix it for your Christmas, if you like cranberries, you will not miss. Warning: I did add additional Splenda, mixed with original sugar to sweeten slightly more and I had to add extra corn starch to thicken. Bravo to the cranberries!!!"