Cranberry-Lime Semifreddo with Pound Cake
Everyone has a favorite way to serve pound cake, but no one will expect this! It's my go-to trick for using up leftover cranberry sauce. —Christine Wendland, Browns Mills, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + freezing
Makes2 semifreddi (8 slices each)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- CAKE LAYER:
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 teaspoons agave nectar
- 4 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup dark rum, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 16 slices
- Line two 8x4-in. loaf pans with plastic wrap, letting edges hang over sides. In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar and cider. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in half of the lime juice. Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Place cold water and remaining lime juice in a small bowl; sprinkle with gelatin. In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, constantly whisk egg yolks and agave nectar until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in gelatin mixture and lime zest until blended. Refrigerate until slightly chilled, about 15 minutes. In a large bowl, combine cranberry and egg mixtures; beat until well blended. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cranberry mixture.
- For cake layer, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese, agave nectar and 4 teaspoons dark rum until light and fluffy. Fold in mint. Brush pound cake slices with remaining dark rum. Spread cream cheese mixture over eight cake slices; top with remaining slices.
- In the prepared pans, layer half of the cranberry mixture, filled cake layers and the remaining cranberry mixture. Smooth the top; cover with overhanging plastic wrap. Freeze overnight or until firm.
- To serve, unmold dessert, using ends of plastic wrap to lift from pan. Remove plastic. Cut into slices.
Originally published as Cranberry Lime Semifreddo with Drunken Pound Cake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.