- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, lemon peel and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cranberries. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the filling ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forCranberry Lemon Sandwiches
"Love these! I sometimes use dried cherries and that is just as good. Be sure to check the cookies for doneness early."
"Be sure to have copies of this with you when you take them out."