Cranberry Lemon Bread
Laced with lemon flavor and studded with tangy cranberries, this quick bread is an old family favorite.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes4 mini loaves (6 slices each)
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream and lemon extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until combined. Fold in cranberries and poppy seeds if desired.
- Pour into four greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 190 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Lemon Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2005