Cranberry Lemon Bread
Laced with lemon flavor and studded with tangy cranberries, this quick bread is an old family favorite.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes4 mini loaves (6 slices each)
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream and lemon extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until combined. Fold in cranberries and poppy seeds if desired.
- Pour into four greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 190 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Lemon Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.