VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream and lemon extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until combined. Fold in cranberries and poppy seeds if desired.
- Pour into four greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 mini loaves (6 slices each).
Originally published as Cranberry Lemon Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p21
Reviews forCranberry Lemon Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2014
"This sounds like a wonderful treat! Must make soon. TY for sharing. Joscy"